Travertine tile in Vancouver is a wonderful stone that provides all the benefits of limestone with a beauty all its own. Like many other types of natural stone tiles, travertine requires special maintenance and upkeep to retain its durability and beauty for years to come.
Here is how to best care for your new travertine tiles.
- Seal the StoneTravertine is a porous stone, which makes it prone to staining when used in wet locations or those that encounter acidic components, such as when cooking or cleaning. Sealing the stone tile, however, can provide protection against staining, allowing the tile to retain its beauty for years with proper care.
- Clean Spills ImmediatelyPorous stone absorbs liquid quickly, which can cause staining. Be sure to wipe up spills as soon as they occur to minimize the amount that is absorbed.
- Avoid Harsh CleanersMany cleaners can erode the surface of travertine tile. Hot soapy water, or a specialized natural stone cleaner, cleans this natural stone as well as harsher chemicals without damaging the surface.
- Dust Mop, Don’t VacuumVacuums can chip or crack travertine floor tiles. Choose a softer dust mop instead. To help reduce wear, it’s important to gently sweep dirt and debris off the stone regularly. As with a counter or backsplash, use a gentle cleaner for a more thorough clean.
- Protect the Tile from Potential DamageIn high traffic areas, travertine tiles can become damaged, resulting in cracked, dull tiles. To best protect them, consider accent rugs and runners for the floor and coasters and trivets for counters.
- Treat Stains PromptlyIf your travertine tile in Vancouver does become stained, apply a mix of your favorite natural stone cleaner, and baking soda to the stain and keep covered with plastic wrap for a few days. This can break up the stain without etching the surface.
When in Doubt, Ask the Experts
Travertine tile has recently experienced a boost in popularity as more homeowners learn about its beauty and benefits. To prolong the life of your tile, proper maintenance is key. The team at Fontile Kitchen & Bath in Vancouver can help you understand the best ways to keep your tiles looking great for years to come. Come and view some further options in our kitchen and bath showroom.
To learn more about using travertine tile in Vancouver, please contact the dedicated professionals at Fontile Kitchen & Bath today!