Thinking of adding some pizzazz to your lackluster walls?
If so, you may be considering wallpaper. That’s right — a century after the 1920s wallpaper obsession, wallpaper is coming back into style, with options ranging from the traditional to the ultra modern. But before you roll out paper wallpaper, let us introduce you to the advantages of ceramic wallpaper.
Wallpaper vs. Ceramic Tile: Which Is Best?
When it comes to the ceramic wall tiles vs. wallpaper question, there’s not much of a competition.
When you choose wallpaper, you may have to contend with any or all of the following issues:
- Bubbles: Installing wallpaper can be a DIY project — but only if you do it correctly. One common problem is air can become trapped under the wallpaper during hanging and cause unsightly bubbles.
- Gaps between sheets: If you don’t prepare the surface or align the sheets properly, it may result in unsightly gaps between the sheets of the wallpaper.
- Lifting and peeling: Over time, the corners and edges of your wallpaper may begin to lift and peel off, requiring you to reapply an adhesive. You may see this issue more in damp or humid environments, or in ultra-dry environments, or simply due to the age of the installation.
- Staining: Stains, marks and daily dirt are inevitable in any living space. Cleaning, if possible, may affect the surface quality of some wallpaper.
- Tears: If you accidentally hit the wall when moving furniture, or your kids are a little too rough with their toys, your wallpaper is susceptible to tears.
- Fading: Wallpaper may fade over time, especially if exposed to the sun.
- Water damage: Water and paper obviously don’t mix, so using wallpaper in areas that will see humidity or water splashes may lead to water stains and discoloration or — even worse — mold can begin to grow behind your wallpaper.
Ceramic tile, on the other hand, enables you to achieve the look and even the texture of wallpaper without these concerns. For example, ceramic tile that looks like wallpaper provides the following advantages:
- Water-resistance: Tile is water-resistant, so you can use ceramic wallpaper tiles in your bathroom, kitchen and any water-prone area without worrying about damage from splashes or humidity.
- Bacteria-resistance: Ceramic tile is inhospitable to the growth of bacteria and other microbes such as mold. Additionally, options are available with antimicrobial properties that can suppress and even destroy harmful microorganisms, such as mold, fungi, bacteria and viruses.
- Stain-resistance: Stains, marks and other messes are easy to clean from ceramic wallpaper. Whether you’re cleaning up messes or just spring cleaning, wiping with water is typically all that’s required.
- Scratch-resistance: Unlike wallpaper, ceramic tile that looks like wallpaper won’t scratch (or scuff, rip, or tear).
- Fade-resistance: The colors of ceramic tile are baked into the surface of ceramic tile to make it fade-resistant. Open the curtains and let the sun in!
And did we mention that ceramic tile can create the exact look of wallpaper — in just about any design you can imagine? More on that below.
Ceramic Wallpaper Options
Because of the large variety of sizes, shapes, designs, textures, and colors of ceramic tile, there are many options with which to create a wallpaper look.
Mosaic, Floral, Graphic and Geometric, Funky, and Textured or not are just a few option that you are able to choose.
So, have you thrown out that roll of wallpaper yet?
We certainly hope you’re well on your way to making the best design decision — and finding the best ceramic wallpaper tiles — for your home.